the ART and business of music
Rock Band School for Future Rock Stars!! Fall semester is in full swing, Sign up for Spring!
Click Here to sign up for your Audition to play in our 2012-2013 Rock Band Program!!
Rehearse every Saturday with world class musicians who will show you how to: Create a Band + Choose Your Own Songs + Write Original Material + Record + Perform Like a Pro + Play Live Shows + Book Gigs + More...
All information must be filled out correctly to be eligible to audition. email with questions. Thanks! and Good Luck!
Aug 25th - Dec 22
Jan 4 - May 31
This program is for students age 8-18 who want to play in a band or who have a band and what to take it to the next level. We will place you with other players who like your style and play at your level, then the sky is the limit!!
contact : email / 512 698 8227 // 512 291 8224
Rock Band School @ Riverbend + sign up for the spring semester right here
Band Aid School of Music - Austin Texas Regardless
of your level of play we have the qualified staff to take
you to the next level. World class musicians who have
helped make Austin the "Live Music Capital of the
We are in the business of helping you to be the best person you can be. We support that goal by showing you how to be the best musician you can be.
contact : email
/ 512 291 8224 / 512 698 8227
FACTS About why we are the BEST.
1. We are the BEST IN THE USA at building great young bands.
- PROOF - AfterMath, a band that our Band Aid Founder, James Mays, formed and developed since the founding members were 9 years old, won best teen band in the USA @ School Jam USA, hosted by Disney.
2. We have the STRONGEST YEAR ROUND ROCK CAMP IN TEXAS.
- PROOF - We Cover Songs, Performance, Recording, Image, Booking, Marketing and more. Bands that have benefited from my Year Round Rock Camp Program include:
AfterMath (Best Teen Band in the USA 2010 @SJUSA/Disney), Keep it Save it (TKAA), The Vinyl (The Backyard), Super Pal Universe (ACL Fest), Anarchy on Mars (SXSW Underage), Yawn Yawn, Comintern (TKAA), Goodnight Australia (Next Up),The Austeens (Jam Fest, TKAA), Electric Silk (Jam Fest, TKAA), The Others (Jam Fest, TKAA), Playing with Fire (Jam Fest, TKAA), Throwback Heart Attack, Loading Soul, The Casey Karhan Band, The Nouns, Goonies Never Say Die, Solstice and more...
3. BAND AID HAS A HEART
- PROOF - We give back to your community. This year we've given over $1600 to organizations that support families with Autism. We've help raise over $9000 for teachers in your school districts. AND...
Since July we have raised enough for 3 people to have a one month scholarship. That's three people who will gain training for their art and their lives! THANKS TO YOU and People like with with generous hearts!!
To contribute, Call 512-698-8227 and I can take your payment over the phone. thx!
4. We have the BEST MALE VOICE COACH IN AUSTIN.
- PROOF - Rachel Thompson + Voted Best Teen Vocalist in the USA 2010
"I just wanted to say thank you for all you have done for me and taught me over the years. I wouldn't be where I am today without you. I also wanted to thank you for all you have done for my family, it's meant the world to us. Thank you again!!" - Rachel T.
"You taught Rachel how to sing and what an incredibly wonderful gift it has been! We will always be grateful to you!" -Rachel's mom, Mindy Thompson
- PROOF - Before founding Band Aid, our Band Aid Founder, James Mays, taught at another music school in Austin that was voted BEST PLACE TO GET VOICE LESSONS. At the time there were two voice coaches at that school he and a female instructor.
5. We HELP MUSICIANS SUCCEED IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS.
- PROOF - AJ Vincent of The Bright Light Social Hour, studied with our Band Aid Founder, James Mays, during the genesis of the Band Aid Music Business Program. He and his father approached Mays asking for the music education that he could not get in a tradition music school. AJ assisted Mays while he, was Assistant Production Manager at SXSW and helped behind the scenes during a number of festivals, including helping him found The Kids Are Alright Fest. Now AJ's band, The Bright Light Social Hour is the hottest new band in Texas and getting bigger all the time. This is in part due the knowledge and music business savvy that AJ learned from us at Band Aid.
6. We build better SONGWRITERS and BAND LEADERS
- PROOF - Teach an artist to write a song and you have fed their soul for a lifetime. Band leaders who have studied with us to improve their songs and performances include:
Billy Canino of Thieves, Zac Kellogg of White Leaf, Cat Green of Blue Kabuki, AJ Vincent of The Bright Light Social Hour, Travis Beall of The Nouns, Amanda Zoch (South Plains), Josh Googins of The Stumblers and Cause In Effect (Paul McCartney School of Music), Kelsey Farrell, Colt Rodgers (Belmont), Theo Halls (Belmont), Carlotta Garza (Vanderbilt), John Cloherty (Belmont), Frank Cortez, Lauren Davis, Daniel Stone of Isle of White, Josh Mosier of South of Center, Evan Butts of The Daze, Max Tollison of Max and Henry, You and Me and Sea Fields of Elephants, Nathan Thrash of Edison Chair, Chris Knight and Shane Miller of Mauve Avenger, Liz Montgomery, Brian Bone, Mitchell Stevens, Travis Pearlman of Stiff as Snakes, Evan Slack, Aubrey Elenz, Rush Evans and Livvy Bennett of SuperPal Universe, Rachel Thompson and Dustin Belanger of AfterMath, Hunter Sharpe, Austin Burns, Melissa Engleman, Brenda Hood of Hoodie Good, JT Wright of Solstice, Ava Baird, Charlie Baker, Teddy Chafizadeh of Electric Society, Casey Karhan and more...
7. Our Teachers are World Class Musicians
- PROOF - We have played from our living rooms to Carnegie Hall to World Tours with Oasis.
Call 512-698-8227 to sign up today.
8. Our Curriculum offers MORE VALUE than any other program in Austin.
- PROOF - A semester of lessons at Band Aid, includes:
Weekly lessons, Performance Classes, Recording, a Public Stage Performance at the Band Aid Showcase, educational opportunities in Festival Production and raising money for charity.
These classes and events bring students together with peers and create a lasting bond and support for students that is found nowhere else. We know! I've pioneered programs at the other music schools in Austin and it's tough to match the value of Band Aid's program.
9. Our Performance Training is unparalleled.
- PROOF - Our Founder, James Mays, taught at different music school's in Austin for 10 years, before founding Band Aid and was baffled how many teachers wouldn't go the extra mile to teach performance. The only way you can teach it is to create performance opportunities for each student. There are so many great learning opportunities for the pro, wanna-be pro or causal learner by putting you in a performance situation. That’s why we do it and we do it a lot! Our students get all the benefits of private lessons and learn how to put that knowledge into action.
Call 512-698-8227 to sign up today.
Youth Rock Band Program
Bass Guitar Classes
Piano and Keyboard Classes
Song Writing Classes
Music Business Internships
Aid Vocalist - AJ Vincent
AJ came to Band Aid to find an education in music that
he couldn't get in a traditional University setting. He
began by studying Voice, Song Writing and Event Production.
Already an accomplished pianist, AJ progressed to the
point where he now sings on stages the likes of Austin
City Limits Festival. with his band The
Bright Light Social Hour. AJ served as an intern for
James Mays during SXSW
from 2007-2008, and was instrumental in the creation and
production of The
Kids Are Alright Fest .
Aid Rock Band - AfterMath
This Psychedelic Rock 5 piece has been together since
2005 . AfterMath was voted 2010 best teen band in the
America at School
Jam USA. The band was voted a Top Ten Teen Band in
the 2007 Austin Chronicle Music Poll and was a finalist
in the 2008 "Taste of Addison" Festival contest.
In 2009, they were voted an SPVA YouthCast Choice Award
Winner along with other local talents including The Fireants
and Georgia Napolitano. They have played SXSW
Fest 2009, 2008, 2007, Austin Music Hall, Antone's,
Jovita's, Threadgills, MoMo's and the Pecan Street Festival
and The Red Eyed Fly .
Aid Rock Band - Comintern
This Prog Rock 5 piece has been together since 2008 .
They rehearse each week with their Band Aid instructor.
Band members learn Song Writing, Music Production and
Performance Skills. Comintern has appeared recently on
News 8 and KXAN Austin and Jam
Fest 2009. They were also a School
Jam USA Semi Finalist for the Southwest Region. Members
of the band have also benefited from Event Production
Experiences for School Jam Texas and SXSW
Aid Rock Band - You and Me/Sea Fields of Elephants
Max Tolleson, the bands lead singer studied voice at
Band Aid with
James Mays. You and Me appeared at SXSW
Underage and recently completed a national tour.
Aid Rock Band - Edison Chair
Edison Chair, the power-pop trio from Dripping Springs,
TX, started playing & writing together in 2007 when
they were just 15. With spot-on harmonies and hook-laden
songwriting that belies their youth, Edison Chair finds
itself poised to step onto the national stage. Nathan
Thrash (guitar, vocals), studied voice under James Mays
and the band benefited from Band Aid Master Classes ,
Showcases and Music and Event Production. They can best
be described as The Ramones meets The Everlys through
a Mersey-beat filter on a hot Texas night. They have appeared
Fest 2008. They places 2nd in School
Jam Texas 2008, and were Semi Finalist for School
Aid Rock Band - Anarchy on Mars
Unfortunately this 80's throwback is no longer playing
together, but there were three years of dubious growth
with Band Aid, which culminated at
Fest 2008. Band members learned Song Writing, Music
Production and Performance Skills.
Aid Rock Band - Super Pal Universe
This band was created as a super group for a TV pilot
created by Sara Hickman, Super Alright! and James Mays.
The pilot never happened but the band went on to do big
things in Austin, Including a performance at Austin
City Limits Festival. Band members learned Song Writing,
Music Production and Performance Skills.